When it comes to mining contracting heavyweights, the name Thiess comes to mind.
Continuing its run of phenomenal success in securing the big mining contracts, Thiess have pulled off a $570 million extension to its present Wesfarmers Resources contract at the Curragh North coal mine in Queensland.
This extended contract was a nobrainer owing to Thiess’s focus on efficiency and proven track record from having a sound 10 year relationship with Wesfarmers. The new extension to the Curragh North Coal Mine will mean Thiess will continue in its capacity as earthworks contractor focusing on overburden removal, open-cut coal extraction and coal handling activities.
This is also good news for mobile plant operators such as haul truck and front end loader drivers who make up the bulk of the Thiess team. The longevity of mining jobs in the Bowen Basin has been well received by the local workforce.
The Curragh North project is located 20 kilometres north of the existing Curragh Mine and 30 kilometres north of Blackwater in Queensland`s Bowen Basin.
About the Curragh Coal Mine
Initial excavation began late 2004 and by the end of the initial contract in May 2008 about 90 million cubic metres of overburden had been removed by Thiess and 11 million tonnes of coal had been mined.
Thiess is contracted to remove a further 85 million cubic metres of overburden and mine approximately 16 million tonnes of coal and eight million tonnes of rehandle during the current contract term. This new contract will see Thiess remove up to 55 million cubic metres of overburden per year.
In terms of mining jobs with Thiess, 240 management, technical, operational and maintenance team members are active on the site. Its expected the contract will create even more Queensland mining jobs capping at around 360 workers at the site.
Curragh Mining Operations
At Curragh Wesfarmers still provide dragline operations as well as drill and blast with no change to the Ultra Class fleet provided by Thiess under the first decade long contract.
The announcement of the new contract welcomed by the head of Thiess, Bruce Munro.
“We have worked closely with Wesfarmers Resources since 2004 at the Curragh North operation and this contract extension will deliver greater value in challenging times to benefit the mine and our stakeholders,” Munro said.
This new contract is the second Thiess have been awarded in less than a month, following its Lake Vermont coal mine $550 million expansion contract near Dysart.
Mining Jobs With Thiess
- Search for Thiess jobs on Google
Be specific about your search question. Use search terms like.
Thiess jobs Queensland, or Thiess jobs mining or Thiess jobs or jobs with Thiess.
- Go to the mining jobs boards like SEEK or CareerOne, search for Thiess jobs (in your State) or interstate if you`re looking for FIFO mining jobs with Thiess.
- Go directly to the Thiess website. They only accept job applications via their careers page at www.thiess.com.au/careers
There is some good information on Thiess jobs and how to apply by going to this web page www.thiess.com.au/careers/working-with-us.
- Target your mining resume at Thiess jobs. Make your resume mining focused and specifically aimed at Thiess and the job you are applying for. Read why you need a professional mining resume.
- Look at ‘beefing up’ your job application by completing additional mining courses.
- See what additinal online mining courses you can do. Online training is easy to complete and you can do this from anywhere with an internet connection.
Thiess have an open policy of employing people with the following attributes and abilities.
- Experienced ““ People who typically have at least 12 months of mining experience and possess the core competencies required for mining.
- Cross Skilled ““ People from other industries with skills that are transferable. They are trained and brought up to speed with mining training programs.
- Trainees ““ Cleanskins with no experience looking to break into the mining industry.
In order to stand the best chance of gaining an interview, always make sure your resume is mining focused and specifically written to target the job you are applying for.
Should you want to apply for a mining job at the Curragh North Coal Mine, remember to include the correct keywords, as well as highlight your industry experience and a clear and logical manner. Getting your resume past resume scanning software is the first hurdle you must get over – professional resume writers know how to get your resume through the scanners. Find out more about resume writing service for mining jobs with Thiess.
Other Thiess Mining News for Jobseekers
- $2bn new mining contracts for Thiess
In its fourth deal since the end of last month, Leighton subsidiary, construction and mining contractor Thiess, has won almost $2bn in new contracts including a $180 million contract with BMA`s Caval Ridge mine project in central Qld.
- Thiess Jobs ““ Bowen Basin $550 Million Contract
Thiess mining contractors have once again beaten fierce mining contractor competition and won a $550 million contract at the Lake Vermont Coal Mine, near Dysart in the Bowen Basin. The Bowen Basin is once again heating up with more Thiess jobs on the horizon.
- Thiess Jobs To Soar ““ $1.8bn CSG Contract
Thiess (a subsidiary company of the Leighton Group), one of the leading construction and mining services contractors of Australia has just signed a contract with coal seam gas giant QGC worth $1.8 billion. 1600 workers are needed urgently to fill Thiess jobs.
- Thiess Job Opportunities
Thiess Jobs ““ Thiess is one of the leading mining and construction companies in Australia. It is also one of the largest employers in the mining sector, giving opportunities to a large number of people from diverse backgrounds.
Reference: Thiess Wins $570 Million Curragh North Coal Mine Contract Wesfarmers[sc:ifooter ]