Get a job in the mines with numerous mines reopening
In response to the ongoing rise in coal prices and increase in demand, Australian coal mine Integra, operated by Glencore, will reopen its doors next year.
After being on care and maintenance since 2014, the decision comes only days after Collinsville mine in Queensland, also run by Glencore, resumed operations.
Integra, formally called Glennies Creek, is an underground operation and expects to generate about 1.3 million tonnes of coal in 2017.
Seven mines to reopen doors including Glencore’s Integra
On top of this it is predicted that seven other coal mines in Queensland and New South Wales will resume operations in the next few months. These include Collinsville and Isaac Plains.
The increase in demand for Australian coking and thermal coal has been as a result of restrictions on production in China. The reopening of these mines will see hundreds of jobs become available in the industry.
Coal prices on the rise
Recently the prices for coking coal reached $230 a tonne, up from $75 a tonne a few short months ago. On top of this, thermal coal which is used in power generation, has increased 27% since the start of October and now sits at more than $100 per tonne.
This rise in price and lift in demand will help keep downward pressure on Australia’s unemployment rate and provide a much needed economic boost benefitting mining, trade and the federal budget.
Recommended courses and qualifications to get a start in the mines
- Standard 11 - This is a well structured and engaging safety training course that will introduce new starters or workers entering the mining industry to life in the industry. This is a MUST DO course if you want to submit an application for a mining job at this mine. Read more about mining induction safety training courses and book your spot online.
- Mining supervisor course (S1, S2, S3). This is one of the best investments you could make in your career and the good news is you could have this qualification on your resume within a few days.
- Haul Truck Operations – By completing this course you will get the national unit of competency for haul trucks which will look great on your resume and allow you to work anywhere in Australia.
- Arrange a medical health check referred to as a Coal Board Medical. This is a requirement by the Coal Mine Workers` Health Scheme. Coal mining companies must ensure that a health assessment is carried out for each person who is to be offered employment, or is already employed in the coal mining industry. Read more about the Coal Board Medical.
- You must have a mining focused resume prepared before you apply for a position. If your resume is not up to date and structured correctly, you risk having your resume overlooked by the automated resume scanning software that is designed to look for selected keywords contained in your resume. This is the first hurdle where many applicants fall, however, there is a solution. Invest in your future and read through our resume tips for mining jobs and have a look at the resume writing service – it works!
For more information and details of course dates and locations, call the training office on 0403 560 594
Learn more about the Bowen Basin mining location.
The Bowen Basin contains the largest coal reserves in Australia. This major coal producing region contains one of the worldâ€™s largest deposits of bituminous coal.
The Basin contains much of the known Permian coal resources in Queensland including virtually all of the known mineable prime coking coal. It was named for the Bowen River, itself named after Queenslandâ€™s first Governor, Sir George Bowen.
The Bowen Basin covers an area of over 60,000 square kilometres in Central Queensland running from Collinsville to Theodore and is dotted with many coal mines operated by multiple mining companies.
Caterpillar Haul truck 793
The 793F has a load cpacityof 226.8 ton (US) and a top speed of 60 kilometres an hour. It's a turbocharged air-to-air aftercooled diesel engine that has enhanced power management capability for maximum hauling performance. The C175-16 is a 16-cylinder, four-stroke design that uses long, effective power strokes for optimum efficiency.
The 793F, is an autonomous-driven truck. Over 100 793F trucks are now operating via Command for hauling, the Cat autonomous truck operations system, which is a part of Cat MineStarâ„˘
Read more about the CAT 793 automomous mining dump truck on our website.
Resources and Infrastructure Industry (RII)
Commonly refered to as Black Coal Competency (BCC), the RII competency is one that can be attained by an operator who has previously worked in the industry and has completed a number of operating hours on various types of machinery.
RII competency is granted to prove correct and safe operation of mine site machinery. It is a very useful qualification to have, as it confirms the operator has the required experience and expertise.
You can transfer your nationally recognised civil Excavator, Front End Loader or Dozer tickets only to RII Black Coal Competencies.