Get a job in the mines with numerous mines reopening
In response to the ongoing rise in coal prices and increase in demand, Australian coal mine Integra, operated by†Glencore, will reopen its doors next year.
After being on care and maintenance since 2014, the decision comes only days after†Collinsville mine in Queensland, also run†by Glencore,†resumed operations.
Integra, formally called Glennies Creek, is an underground operation and expects to generate†about 1.3 million tonnes of coal in 2017.
Seven mines to reopen doors including Glencore’s Integra
On top of this it is predicted that seven other coal mines in Queensland and New South Wales will resume operations in the next few months.†These include Collinsville and Isaac Plains.
The increase in demand for Australian coking and thermal coal has been as a result of †restrictions on production in China. The reopening of these mines will see hundreds of jobs become available in the industry.
Coal prices on the rise
Recently the†prices for coking coal reached $230 a tonne, up from $75 a tonne a few short months ago. On top of this,†thermal coal†which is†used in power generation, has increased 27% since the start of October and now sits at more than $100 per tonne.
This rise in price and lift†in demand will help†keep downward pressure on Australia’s unemployment rate and provide a much needed economic boost benefitting mining, trade and the federal budget.
Recommended courses and qualifications to get a start in the mines
- Standard 11 -†This is a well structured and engaging safety training course that will introduce new starters or workers entering the mining industry to life in the industry. This is a MUST DO course if you want to submit an application for a mining job at this mine. Read more about mining induction safety training courses and book your spot online.
- Mining supervisor course (S1, S2, S3). This is†one of the best investments you could make in your career and the good news is you could have this qualification on your resume within a few days.
- Haul Truck†Operations –†By completing this course you†will get the national unit of competency for haul trucks which will look great on your resume and allow you to work anywhere in Australia.
- Arrange a medical health check referred to as a Coal Board Medical. This is a requirement by the Coal Mine Workers` Health Scheme. Coal mining companies must ensure that a health assessment is carried out for each person who is to be offered employment, or is already employed in the coal mining industry. Read more about the Coal Board Medical.
- You must have a mining focused resume prepared before you apply for a position. If your resume is not up to date and structured correctly, you risk having your resume overlooked by the automated resume scanning software that is designed to look for selected keywords contained in your resume. This is the first hurdle where many applicants fall, however, there is a solution. Invest in your future and read through our resume tips for mining jobs and have a look at the resume writing service – it works!
For more information and details of course dates and locations, call the training office on 0403 560 594