Underground Shift Supervisor – Mining Maintenance
To provide leadership to team members and maintain a safe sustainable environment. Ensuring efficient work practices while complying with company policies & procedures to achieve planned targets.
Key Role Objectives
- Provide leadership in relation to health, safety and environmental management.
- Supervise and co-ordinate daily shift activities.
- Coordinate safety pre-shift meetings.
- Attend to any outstanding actions from incident reports.
- Carry out site inspections and audits and communicate with team members the outcomes.
- Make appropriate changes to the shift plan and status board for the oncoming shift.
- Ensure all mine services and infrastructure are serviceable and maintained e.g. pumping, air and water supply, travel ways and escape routes etc.
- Complete required daily shift reports.
- Ensure all selected sites have security checks carried out and any breaches and hazards reported.
- Ensure individual training plans are developed.
- Participate in Performance development reviews.
- Comply with legal obligations, KLG safety policy and procedures
- Assist with the management of safety issues with operators, contractors and managers.
- Intervening as necessary to ensure the health and safety of yourself and others in the workplace.
- Cooperate with Supervisors and Managers on the management of environmental issues.
- Intervening as necessary to protect the environment
- Personnel as designated by the Mine Foremen.
- Underground & Surface workforce.
- Other KL Gold departments e.g. Environment, Geology, Maintenance and Safety.
- External Contractors e.g. drillers and mining.
- External stakeholders e.g. NT Power & Water.
- Senior First Aid ticket (essential).
- Manual Drivers License (essential).
- Certificate IV in Workplace Training & Assessment (desirable).
- WA Underground Supervisor’s Certificate (desirable).
- ER Training/Competency
- Jumbo drill, I.T Carrier, LHD competencies.
- Explosive License (charge hand).
Required Knowledge and skills
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in an underground mining environment. Including production and development mining practices and techniques.
- Previous experience as a crew leader and/or Shift Supervisor.
- Good level of computer & IT skills.
- Proven leadership capabilities.
- High level of motivation.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Honest and confidential.
- Pro-active, self-starter capable of working in a small team of professionals.
- Good level of physical fitness.
Physical Demands and Requirements
- Underground Shift Supervisors will regularly work outdoors in hot and humid conditions, underground and in other areas of the mine site and leases as directed. He/she will also be expected to occasionally work outside in extreme weather conditions during the NT’s “wet season”. The incumbent must be able to perform tasks requiring a medium to heavy physical demand including:
- lift and carry loads up to a maximum of 15kgs
- operate a vehicle typically requiring a C Class NT Driver’s License
- work in environmental extremes for over 60 consecutive minutes (e.g. very hot, or variable weather)
- sit, stand, walk, bend, reach, squat, kneel, crawl and/or climb stairs
- push, pull, lift, lower, hold, and or restrain an object
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for this position shall be supplied, worn and utilized in accordance with KL Gold’s NT Operations’ policies, Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS), and/ or as instructed by the site supervisor, fellow employees or as sign posted.
- Ensure all hazards and sources of loss associated with specific work areas are identified, evaluated and controlled in accordance with policies and procedures to achieve the highest possible safety and environmental standards.
- Assist in maintaining a safe and healthy work environment in accordance with policies and procedures.
- Assist with the implementation of improvement programs to address non compliance including hazard identification, risk assessment and positive behavior reinforcement.
- Manage your own health and safety while at work and avoid adversely affecting the health and safety of other persons as a consequence of actions taken.
- Comply with all instructions given by the employer which relate to health and safety.
- Comply with all environmental policies and procedures.
- Report immediately any injury or harm to your health which has occurred in the course of your work.
- This position has the authority to stop any activity that they deem to be unsafe.
- Ability to work in a remote location. Most of KL Gold’s NT operations are scattered throughout the Northern Territory with most activity situated 160km south of Darwin.
- This Position Description is subject to reasonable change in consultation with the incumbent.
How to Apply
To be considered for this role, please click the ‘Apply Now‘ link to submit your application. Only short listed applicants will be contacted.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic mining operation that recognizes achievement and offers genuine career opportunities. Don’t forget you will need the appropriate mine site qualifications such as Standard 11 *Standard 11 Training*Apply for Experienced Underground Mining Maintenance Shift Supervisor Darwin