In news that will come as no surprise to many employers, employment site, CareerOne.com.au revealed its list of top 10 interview mistakes made by job hunters.
CareerOne.com.au spoke to employers and recruiters who offered up some of their worst interview experiences.
Here is a list of a few of them. Ensure that when you get your chance at a mining job interview you DO NOT do any of these things mentioned below. The jobs are competitive enough without you missing out because your preparation was not 100%
Top 10 mistakes made on a cover letter/resume
1. Spelling mistakes
2. Addressing your cover letter to the wrong person
3. Cover letter too generic and not addressing the desired role
4. Length! Candidates sending through pages and pages of information
5. Inputting information over 10 years old
6. Submitting a handwritten cover letter
7. Providing too much personal information.
8. Inventing careers and skills. Professional resume checkers will sniff this out.
9. Excluding contact details and gaps in job history
10. Using inappropriate email addresses
Biggest mistake: A 32 page application was received
“The cover letter is a candidate`s first impression. It shows the commitment to the job from the very early stages,”Ě explains Gary Banks, ABT Recruitment.
FACE-TO-FACE INTERVIEW MISTAKES REPORTED BY RECRUITERS
1. Dressing inappropriately
2. Bringing in fast food during the interview and eating it while being interviewed
3. Turning up late or not turning up at all for the scheduled interview
4. Offering sexual advances/propositions
5. Sharing too much personal information. No need to tell us about your second job driving hookers around
6. Not showing enough or showing too much enthusiasm
7. Questioning the intentions of the recruiter and questioning the questions of the recruiter!
8. Behaving inappropriately “ď don`t pick your nose during an interview please
9. Turning up drunk
10. Threatening and physically abusing recruiters out of desperation for a job
One recruiter said a candidate told him of his criminal conviction including a physical demonstration of how he assaulted his wife.
Follow our resume tips to ensure you give yourself every chance at landing an interview