Production Mining Operation Improvement Engineer
- Residential role in family friendly Weipa (Not FIFO)
- Be part of a dynamic team with excellent career development opportunities
- Global mining organization with an exceptional safety culture
About the role
They are looking for a Production Improvement Engineer to support the Operations Superintendent (Development) and the Production Team in the areas of business improvement, production planning, technical support and non HME based capital project delivery, HSE systems and training support.
This role is a great opportunity for a highly motivated individual. Working and reporting to the Superintendent Mine Operations, You will be:
- Supporting the Operations Superintendent (Production) and the Production team in the areas of business improvement, production planning, technical support, non HME based capital project delivery, Health Safety Environment (HSE) systems and training support
- Designing and implementing processes and systems to ensure that East Weipa Production gains sustained, maximum value from business improvement activities in the areas of LEAN, Six Sigma or business improvement projects, Process Improvement initiatives, Asset Management to deliver high value and quality key projects on time and in budget
- Coordinating the East Weipa HSE standards and training work as well as designing and implementing coaching strategies for operators
- Improving production reliability with key focus on safety standards
- Improving consistency of training and delivering key non equipment based capital projects
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications in Mining Engineering or similar with strong practical mining ties over a relevant period or;
- Demonstrated experience within mining operations at a crew leader level
- An understanding of Lean or Six Sigma principles
- Cost Management or budget control experience
- Experience Strong leadership or influencing skills
- Strong computer skills
Where you will be working
Rio Tinto Weipa is located 900km north-west of Cairns on the Gulf of Carpentaria and has been operating for over 50 years. Over the years, it has developed into a vibrant and diverse cultural hub of the Western Cape. Weipa offers a coastal community rich in geographical beauty and cultural heritage that provides families with opportunities to participate in leisure activities, sports and community events.
With a strong sense of community, the region has plenty of natural beauty to offer including the opportunities for boating, fishing, camping and exploring. Construction of the Amrun project, located 40 kilometers south west of Weipa, is currently underway to expand our bauxite operations and continue production from one of the world’s premier bauxite deposits. This expansion will strengthen the economy and provide exciting opportunities for the people of Cape York and Queensland for future generations.
As pioneers in mining and metals, they produce materials essential to human progress.
Their long history is filled with firsts. They have developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and there people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminum and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore, coal and uranium: their materials make up the world. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Creating an inclusive and diverse workforce
They are a diverse team of talented, enthusiastic individuals who foster a culture of inclusion. No matter how they may differ, our people share one thing in common. It’s a belief that work is more rewarding when they are accepted and valued for there differences, not judged by them. They all have something to contribute, and it’s this contribution that makes for a great organization and fulfilling career.
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where they challenge you to drive positive change.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
“Rio Tinto reserves the right to remove job postings prior to the stated closing date, therefore, if you are interested in applying for this vacancy please submit your application as soon as possible.”
How to apply
If you feel you meet the above requirements, are keen to take on a new and exciting opportunity, and work for an employer that is committed to supporting your career then APPLY NOW.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic mining operation that recognizes achievement and offers genuine career opportunities. Don’t forget you will need the appropriate mine site qualifications such as Standard 11Apply for Production Mining Operation Improvement Engineer Weipa Mine QLD