$1.5 billion Daunia coal mine near Moranbah, (in central Queensland) provides a new wave of hope for QLD mining jobs. BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) has stated it will be advertising 450 QLD mining jobs to operate the Daunia coal mine now it’s open.
Daunia has already filled hundreds of QLD mining jobs and create hundreds more to service the mine. The new multi-million dollar coal mine is another indication of BMA’s dominance in the Queensland coal industry.
The Daunia Coal Mine will positively impact the economy by billions of dollars and provide mining jobs Queensland.
At the mine opening Queensland Premier Campbell Newman spoke about the positive economic impacts Daunia Coal Mine will bring to Queensland by adding to the booming mining activity in the Bowen Basin.
“This one mine has already created 900 jobs and boosted the economy by $1.4 billion through the construction alone. Another 450 QLD mining jobs will now support the ongoing operation of the mine, adding further benefits to the economy.”
BMA now aim to fortify their position and firmly cement the future of the coal industry as Queensland’s financial future. Both have publicly discussed plans of expansion, ramping up productivity and their intentions to surge ahead with vigor into the coal mining regions of Central Queensland.
With expansion plans and productivity increasing, so too will QLD mining jobs, which will hopefully provide a much needed boost of confidence surrounding coal jobs in the Bowen Basin Queensland.
If you’re looking for QLD mining jobs in the coal industry, what you need to know is that activity in the Central Queensland and Bowen Basin region is heating, up with billions of dollars of investment being injected by large Australian mining companies as well as by international companies like GVK and Adani.
BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance operates 7 metallurgical coal mines, the Hay Point coal terminal and the Caval Ridge mine. This is also BHP Billiton’s ninth operation in the region and they are digging their heels into the Bowen Basin.
BMA Coal Mining Ramps Up to create QLD Mining Jobs – FAST FACTS
- BMA’s $2.5 billion expansion of Hay Point Coal Terminal is to be completed by the end of 2014, and will also be exporting coal from its $3.6 billion Caval Ridge mine.
- They want to expand on what they have built and get these coal mines running productively. This is particularly crucial with interest building from many international companies like Japanese heavyweight Mitsubishi who has stated the company “was always keen to consider investments, if the deals were right.”
- Almost half the Daunia mining workforce of 450 workers are new to the industry with around 5 percent being of Indigenous background.
- Competition†at Daunia and Caval Ridge for jobs was fierce considering there were only 800 QLD mining jobs on offer
- The Daunia mine currently employs 100 women in mining roles.
- At this point in time, all of the jobs are based on a fly in fly out (FIFO) roster.
- The project†took just two years to complete and came in under budget by $200 million (a significantly achievement for coal mining projects in Queensland).
- 900 QLD construction jobs were needed to build the mine.
- BMA will be recruiting for a further 450 workers to operate the mine and associated infrastructure.The workforce will be entirely FIFO, from Cairns and Brisbane.
- As mining production ramps up, the Daunia mining operation will dig out 4.5 million tonnes of coal per annum.
- The expected mine operating lifespan is 30 years.
According to the Minerals Council of Australia chief Mitch Hooke the Daunia mine offers a much needed boost for Australia’s coal sector† and a shot in the arm for QLD mining jobs in general.
He stated “It confirms there is continuing demand for Australian coal from emerging economies like China and our more traditional markets in Japan and Korea.”
The Daunia coal mine is providing a good opportunity for people looking for mining jobs in QLD and offers significant hope for a positive future for the Australian coal mining industry.
BHP Billiton’s $1.4 billion Daunia coal mine being completed four months early and $200+ millon under budget, injects a shot of optimism into the coal mining industry and the future of many QLD mining jobs.
Queensland Premier Campbell Newman, many who consider a visionary, once worked on the Moura mine and extremely supportive of mining in the State of Queensland. He stated at the opening of the Daunia coal mine that first thing he wanted if the Coalition wins the election, is for the Federal Government to get out of the way and cut the “green” tape and unnecessary paperwork that is holding up the development of mining projects in Australia.
BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) Traineeships for 2014 – Applications Closing September 18th, 2013
BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA) is offering a number of exciting opportunities for Mining Traineeships at their various operations within Central Queensland.
BMA has Mining Traineeships in the following areas:
- Drill & Blast
- Mining Operations
- Tyre Fitting and
- Coal Handling Preparation Plant Operators
- Electrical Trades
- Mechanical Trades
- Building Trades
- Mobile Plant Operator / Truck Driver
- Cleaning and Catering Staff
- Crane Operators
- Labourer / Trades Assistant
- Metal Trades
- Health & Safety
New starters looking to get into mining in Queensland need to be aware of these requirements.
- In most cases you may have to complete a Mining Induction course (You may not be allowed on a mining site in Queensland without this qualification). This is a 2 day course that focuses on Work Health & Safety and educates you about everyday life in mining – including mining terminology, procedures, safety and compliance policies.
- You must have a current Coal Board Medical certificate, as this is a Queensland Government requirement.
- If you are a machine operator you will also have to transfer your civil machinery operator tickets to Black Coal Competencies.
Before you start applying for mining jobs at Daunia, there are other considerations like having a mining focused resume prepared for you to give you every chance of getting that all important interview.
iMINCO have created lots of tips and information on how to write a good mining resume as well as some vital information on how to get the most out of your interview, because we know this is where many people need help.
Make sure you follow the mining job board on the BHP Billiton Website at jobs.bhpbilliton.com for more details of their upcoming QLD mining jobs.
Reference: New Daunia Coal Mine Opens Hundreds Of QLD Mining Jobs and Bowen Basin Jobs