Catering Jobs in Mining
Many people have been able to get a start in mining though applying for catering jobs first. Taking this direction seems to be an easier option for some people but it is still not without hard work and determination.
We have had many people contact us and tell us they have been successful in getting a cleaning job but these people have been tenacious and methodical in their process of applying. I’ll give you a tip on how they did it below…
Although applying for cleaning jobs on mine sites are a great way to get a foot in the door but it is still very very competitive.
The people we have heard from who have been successful in getting a cleaning or catering job have done their research on the company prior to the interview. Mine site cleaning and service providers all have websites and some are listed below.
The companies listed here provide a diverse range of services in mining camps and on the mine sites.
Some of the mining and resource industry the tasks for catering trades may include:
- Monitoring compliance with health and fire regulations regarding food preparation and serving and building maintenance in lodging and dining facility;
- Estimating food, liquor, wine, and other beverage consumption to anticipate amount to be purchased or requisitioned;
- Organising and directing worker training programs, resolving personnel problems, hiring new staff, and evaluating employee performance;
- Planning menus and food utilization based on anticipated number of guests, nutritional value, palatability, popularity, and costs;
- Monitoring food preparation and methods, size of portions, and garnishing and presentation of food;
- Investigating and resolving complaints regarding food quality, service, etc;
- Creating specialty dishes and developing recipes;
- Keeping records required by government;
- Establishing and enforcing nutrition standards for dining establishment based on accepted industry standards;
- Reviewing menus and analysing recipes to determine labour and overhead costs, and assigns prices to menu items, and
- Monitoring budget, payroll records, and reviewing costs to ensure expenditures are authorized and budgeted.
Food/Beverage ““ Supervisor/Manager: $35,000 “” $120,000 Chef: $35,000 “” $80,000 Cooks: $32,000 “” $75,000
Entry to these occupations is generally through an Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Diploma or higher qualification or at least 3 years relevant experience. In some instances relevant experience is required in addition to the formal qualification.
Cleaning and Catering Companies
- J & L Mining Services: QLD based business, employs Boilermakers, Labourers, Plumbers, Carpenters, Cleaners and Admin.
- Compass Group: Market leader in providing contract catering and support services.
- Morriscorp: Management services to the remote resource, construction and defence sectors.
- Action Catering: Catering and support services to the remote mining and construction industry.
- Coal gas camps: Remote camp accommodation and support services.
- Easternwell: Australia`s leading integrated energy and mining services provider.
- Complete Site: Services : Offer a range of site amenities for all sized camps.
- The Mac: Develops, owns and operates high quality villages for people that work and live in regional areas.
- Sodexo: World leader in remote site management.
- : International services company specialising in outsourced facility management.
- ISS Australia: Involved in some of Australia`s largest and most exciting projects and clients.
- Australian Portable Camps: Provider of innovative camp solutions.
- Strike Force Services: Cleaning and Security Services.
- Wilson Security: Provide a range of specialist security, safety and emergency management services to many of Australia`s leading resources companies.
- Global Security Management: Provider of security, risk management, safety, medical and emergency management services to organisations within the resources, mining, construction, maritime, heavy industry and government sectors.
- Secure Corp: Provides a range of integrated facilities management services.
- Frontline Diagnostics: Products and services for a Drug-Safe Workplace.
- R2R Services: Village management specialists.
- : Queensland company that provides hotel style services to the remote industry.
- Cater Care: Leading providers of contract catering, accommodation and facility management services.
- DCL Services: WA company providing catering, accommodation services and facility management.
- Australian Camp Services: Specialise in remote site services, accommodation supply, catering, and associated services.
- Precision Mining Camps and Services : Offers an extensive range of services to remote operations