Essential qualifications to work in the coal mining sector in Queensland
You may see some Queensland job advertisements require RII qualifications or sometimes they are referred to as Black Coal Competency (BCC).
This is a qualification that can be attained by an operator who has previously worked in the industry and has completed a number of operating hours on various types of machinery.
This competency is granted to show that the worker can correctly and safely operate the machinery. It is a very useful qualification to have, as it proves to prospective new employers that you have the necessary experience and expertise to operate the machinery in a coal mining and quarrying environment.
You can transfer your nationally recognised civil Excavator, Front End Loader or Dozer tickets only to RII Black Coal Competencies.
You will need to undertake a mixture of theory and practical assessment.
You will be asked approximately 60 questions that will cover, plan and prepare for operations, operate machinery, carry out post operational procedures.
- Demonstrate ability to locate and access site documentation.
- Work Instructions.
- Geological and survey data.
- Demonstrate a pre-start check.
- Demonstrate start-up.
- Demonstrate correct operation and testing of the propel, boom, bucket, stuck and slew control levers.
- Demonstrate walking the excavator and positioning for operations.
- Demonstrate travelling forward and reverse, left and right spragging of the machine and demonstrate use of the bucket to assist spragging.
- Demonstrate park up and shut down procedures; and
- Demonstrate how to shut down the machinery in an emergency.
Course Duration: Half day for each course
Maximum Class Size: 5
Some mining training courses will automatically include RII qualifications as a part of the training program.
Call (07) 5520 2522 to talk to a trainer about how to increase your mining job opportunities by transferring your current competencies to RII Black Coal Competencies
As iMINCO is an information provider and not an RTO, we utilise the training and industry experience of Tectra Australia Pty Ltd / RTO number: 40889, who are a leading provider of mining training.