If you're thinking of applying for this job, make sure your resume is up-to-date and includes at least some of the keywords contained within the advert.Click Here to download our Expert Mining Resume Guide and create the best version of your mining resume.
Safety is a high priority in this industry. This job requires you to have a heightened sense of awareness and also appreciate the importance of safety in the workplace.
See more jobs in the Latest News category.
The export volumes generate much-needed cash-flow to sustain people in mine jobs in the region.
Watch this Mining jobs in the Pilbara video
RIO TINTO�operates a world-class network of 14 iron ore mines, three port facilities, a 1,400 kilometre rail network and related infrastructure while currently supplying more than 12,000 workers in Western Australia’s Pilbara region�with mine jobs.
In the first half of 2013 they recorded a 2% increase in sales and production over 2012 figures despite adverse weather conditions (flooding) and sales being lower than production in the second quarter due to a conveyor breakdown which caused a three week glitch for one in five ship loaders. Rio Tinto’s plans to expand capacity by developing new mines and improving productivity at existing mines are on track.
In 2013 they signed on 241 new graduates, of whom 28 per cent are women and 17 per cent from emerging regions. They also employed 87 apprentices; nine per cent are women and 16 per cent Indigenous.
A public review of Rio Tinto’s plan for its Koodaideri iron ore mine in Australia’s Pilbara region has commenced. Rio expects production to begin around the 35 million tonnes a year (70Mtpa), and it is hoped to reach 70 Mtpa at the new mine which is situated a mere 23km from the Karinjini National Park.
The proposed project involves open cut pits and Rio expects the mine life to reach 30 years. Projected costs have reportedly reached A$3.5 billion.
Watch this video on Rio`s Tom Price Mine Tour
BHP BILLITON�is another company that has recorded its thirteenth increase in annual production of Western Australia Iron Ore from the Pilbara region. Total iron ore production increased by seven per cent in the 2013 financial year to 170 million tonnes.
The June 2013 quarter reflected the successful completion of all major infrastructure associated with the Inner Harbour Expansion project.
WAIO production is expected to increase to approximately 207 million tonnes in the 2014 financial year and first production from the Jimblebar Mine Expansion is now anticipated in December 2013.
FORTESCUE�is the third largest iron ore producer in Australia and their CEO Neville Power believes that China`s current 7% economic growth rate is still strong and will mean a stable demand for Australian iron ore, which will continue to increase the chance of mine jobs into the future.
ACTIVE IRON ORE MINES IN THE PILBARA INCLUDE:
FORTESCUE METALS GROUP:
- Brockman mine
- Brockman 4 mine
- Channar mine
- Eastern Range mine
- Hope Downs mine
- Marandoo mine
- Mesa A mine
- Mesa J mine
- Mount Tom Price mine
- Nammuldi mine
- Paraburdoo mine
- West Angelas mine
- Yandicoogina mine
Find a BHP, Rio Tinto or Fortescue Mine Job:
Read This Checklist Before Applying For A Mine Job�In The Pilbara
- The biggest tip we can give you is do your research on Pilbara Mining Jobs first! You have to understand how each mining company works, what they do, what they’re mining, where they do it and where their future growth is. Then, take this knowledge and add little snippets of it to your job application cover letter. When you go for your interview, you will be asked questions about why you want to work at BHP, Rio Tinto or Fortescue, so you better be ready with some good answers. View a list of typical questions you may be asked when applying for a mine job.
- Make sure your resume is up-to-date and focused on mining.
- Here are some resume tips to help you with your Pilbara mining job applications.
- Do you want to know how to impress BHP, Rio Tinto or Fortescue?”� read our tips on “how to interview well for a job in the mines“.
- Some of BHP, Rio Tinto or Fortescue’s mining operations require you to physically fit and ready to start work. If you apply for jobs in some mining areas, you may need to complete a medical examination.
- Think about what other mining, management, machinery skills training and WHS safety courses you can do to increase your career opportunities in the Pilbara.
- How to get into mining with no experience.
- Increase your overall mining knowledge with iMINCO Project News. This is a FREE email newsletter delivered to your inbox and is full of mining and resource sector information on jobs, projects and training.
- Learn how to drive and maintain a 4 wheel drive vehicle as most BHP, Rio Tinto or Fortescue operations will be in remote, off-road locations, such as the WA Pilbara, so you must have these skills.
- Mining companies and recruiters look to your social media profile first. Indications are that up to 80% of recruiters look to social media to get a feel for who you are and what you’re about. Make sure your social media profile does not contain anything that may hamper your opportunity to get an interview. Remove any foul language or dodgy pictures of you in compromising poses or situations.
- After applying for a job at BHP, Rio Tinto or Fortescue, make sure you follow it up with a phone call a day later to enquire if they have received your job application. This shows you are keen, thorough and action based, which is what mining companies are searching for.
- If you do get an email or a phone call regarding your job application, be prepared to answer questions on the spot “� know your stuff and be confident in your abilities.
- If you`ve have not heard back from BHP, Rio Tinto or Fortescue within a week or so, give them a call and enquire about the progress of your application , be persistent “� but polite at the same time. The application process can take time, be patient, although don`t drop the ball and forget about it. This is your future in your hands and you and only you are responsible for creating it and making it happen.
- Keep yourself up-to-date with news for�Pilbara mine jobs and use this current information when you are talking to the recruiters or with BHP, Rio Tinto or Fortescue staff directly. Remember this “� every mining company and contractor is searching for reliable, committed and hard -working people who can think on their feet and contribute to the growth of the business. If you`re thinking only about yourself and what you can get out of a job with BHP, Rio Tinto or Fortescue, then you may have to re-think your approach, the old way of being self-centric, just doesn’t cut it any more.
Pilbara Mine Jobs “� Rio Tinto Jobs “� BHP Jobs
Dump Truck Operator Salaries
How much do dump truck production operators earn in the mines?
Depending on where you live, or which state the mine is located in, as you can see from the information below, the salaries are very different. In Queensland and New South Wales, mining wages are pretty much the same for Dump Truck Operators. Working at a Western Australian mine you can expect to earn about 20% more than if you worked in QLD or NSW.
Dump truck operator jobs are advertised on SEEK and other mining jobs boards regularly.
According to online jobs website Indeed (au.indeed.com), the average salary for a Dump Truck Production Operator in Australia is $41.98 per hour. Salary estimates are based on 326 salaries submitted anonymously to Indeed by Dump Truck Drivers. The data was collected from past and present job ads on Indeed over the last 36 months.
Payscale.com Dump Truck Driver Pay Estimates
Looking at the salary of an entry-level Dump Truck Driver with less than 1 year experience, you can expect to earn an average hourly wage (includes bonus, and overtime pay) of AU$42 based on 24 pay reviews.
With so many different and conflicting articles about salaries, it's difficult to know what the exact take home pay is for a Dump Truck Operator.
Blackwater, Queensland Dump Truck Salaries +40%
According to Payscale.com, Dump Truck Operators in the Queensland Bowen Basin area of Blackwater, earn an average of 39.7% more than the national average. Dump Truck Operators also get more money in Western Australia (26.6% more) and Kalgoorlie (17.0% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Melbourne, Victoria (19.6% less), Brisbane, Queensland (16.2% less) and Sydney, New South Wales (14.3% less).
SEEK mining job salaries for dump truck production operators
What are dump truck operator employers looking for?
The following list is a collection of requirements you'll find in most advertised dump truckk operator jobs
- Experience operating CAT trucks
- A willingness to work rotating rosters
- Ability to contribute and work positively in a team environment
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical including drug and alcohol test
- Competitive Hourly Rate plus super on all hours worked
- Current Drivers Licence
- Current Standard 11 or willing to obtain a Standard 11
- Have a strong commitment to safety and Zero Harm and ensure this is a
- priority and at the forefront of all your decision-making
- Have a strong work history
- High level of safety awareness
- Relevant current RII Competencies
- Relevant RII/ SSE sign offs/ Competencies
- Right to work in Australia - Birth Certificate or Australian Passport
- Sound Work History
- Be reliable and a team player
Caterpillar Haul truck 785
The Caterpillar 785 Haul Truck, Dump Truck or off-road truck as they are called in the U.S. are still used across the world in open-cut mining operations. This huge truck has proven it’s worth for many years and has often been the entry-level truck for new operators.
Progressing when competent, operators move up to the larger CAT 793 and CAT 797 truck, giving them the confidence and ability to handle larger load capacities on a range of challenging mine sites.
One of the biggest advantages you can get if you are looking to learn how to drive these big machines is to get to know the finer details.