A Shotfirer in the minerals industry assembles, positions and detonates explosives at mining sites to dislodge rock or soil.
Shotfirers in the minerals industry may perform the following tasks:
- Inspect blasting areas and ensures observance of safety regulations.
- Cut channels under working faces.
- Check bore-hole depths and clean holes.
- Place explosives into position.
- Assemble primers using detonators and explosive cartridges, and attaches wires, fuses or detonating cords.
- Tests electrical circuits and repairs malfunctions.
- Ensures all explosives are detonated and declares areas safe.
A Shotfirer would suit someone who:
- Enjoys practical and manual activities.
- Is willing to adhere to strict safety requirements.
- Is physically fit.
- Can pass a medical examination.
- Is able to work in confined spaces, including underground.
- Has basic skills in mathematics and science.
- Can pass a police check.
Shotfirer: $70,000 “” $115,000?Drill and Blast Engineer: $80,000 “” $115,000
The entry requirement for a Shotfirer is an AQF Certificate II or higher qualification or at least 1 years relevant experience