List of Queensland Mining Companies
The number of mining companies in Queensland is staggering, which is not suprising considering the huge deposits of high quality thermal and coking coal.
Mining in Queensland has sustained the state for decades and with more mining projects coming getting past the state and federal approval stages, now is the time to start to discover which Queensland mining companies offer the best source of mining jobs opportunities.
The list of Queensland mining companies that are active in the state varies from small independent miners such as Cuesta Coal to global companies like BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto and Anglo American. This diversity of mining companies offers a unique mix of mining operations like coal, gold, copper, nickel and bauxite – to name a few.
Start your mining job search by researching the following Queensland mining companies.
This is the first step to pave the way for a successful career in the Queensland mining sector.
- Adani mining– Adani came to Australia in 2010 when they bought the Carmichael Coal Mine in the Galilee Basin and also the Port of Abbot Point.Adani is still moving ahead with plans to develop a thermal coal mine in the north Galilee Basin approximately 160 kilometres (km) north-west of the town of Clermont.
- Anglo Coal Australia Pty Ltd – Anglo American are active in underground and open cut mines in Queensland. Operations include Capcoal, Foxleigh Plains, Dawson, Jellinbah and twoLongwall Mines;Grosvenor Project, Moranbah North
- BHP Billiton Mitsubishi Alliance (BMA)– The giant mining company owns and operates seven Bowen Basin mines “ Goonyella Riverside, Broadmeadow, Peak Downs, Saraji, Norwich Park (production ceased), Gregory Crinum and Blackwater “ and the Hay Point Coal Terminal near Mackay. BHP Billiton Mitsui Coal (BMC) operates two mines in the Bowen Basin: South Walker Creek Mine and Poitrel Mine.
- Caledon Coal Pty Ltd– Caledon is an cutting edge Queensland mining company and coal producer based in the Bowen Basin. Caledon currently owns and operates the Cook Colliery and the Minyango Project.
- Carabella Resources Limited– Acoal exploration and development company based in Brisbane. It has a portfolio of ten coal exploration tenements across Queensland`s coal basins.
- Citigold Corporation-Citigold Corporation is an Australian gold mining company with mining operations at Charters Towers.
- Ensham Resources Pty Ltd-The Ensham project is a major open-cut coal operation in the western Bowen Basin, about 40 km northeast of Emerald in the Central Queensland coalfields.
- Ernest Henry Mining Pty Ltd-Ernest Henry Mining (EHM) is a copper, gold and magnetite mining and processing operation located 38 kilometres north east of Cloncurry.
- Jellinbah Group-Jellinbah Group is a privately owned and independent Queensland mining company with coal mining operations in Central Queensland`s Bowen Basin. They operate 2 mines, Jellinbah Mine and Lake Vermont Mine.
- New Hope Coal Australia-New Hope currently has two open-cut thermal coal mines in South East Queensland: They are, New Acland, north of Oakey on the Darling Downs, and Jeebropilly in the West Moreton region near Ipswich.
- Newlands Coal Pty Ltd-The NCA Project includes the Newlands open-cut and underground longwall operations, the Collinsville open-cut mine and the Abbot Point coal terminal.Newlands is located in the northern part of the Queensland Bowen Basin.
- Oaky Creek Coal Pty Ltd – Oaky Creek Coal (OCC) is located between the mining towns of Tieri and Middlemount in Central Queensland. The mine has two underground operations and a coal preparation plant.
- Opal Horizon Limited-The company has one opal mine in south western Queensland.The Raindance mine produces high-quality pipe and boulder opal.
- Peabody Energy – Peabody has 8 mining operations in Queensland. The Burton, North Goonyella, Eaglefield, Millennium, Coppabella, Moorvale and Middlemount mines cover the length of the Bowen Basin. The Wilkie Creek mine operates within the Surat Basin, which is west of Brisbane.
- Perilya Mines N.L.-The Rockhampton project is 10 kilometres south-east of the old Mount Morgan mine in southeast Queensland.
- Qcoal Pty Ltd– QCoal Pty Ltd is a privately owned company focused on coal exploration and mining. QCoal has been active in coal exploration and development throughout Queensland since 1989.
- Rio Tinto Alcan-Rio Tinto-Alcan is one of five product groups operated by Rio Tinto, a leading international mining group.
- Rio Tinto Coal Australia-Rio Tinto Coal Australia operates the Blair Athol, Hail Creek, Kestrel and Clermont mines in Central QLD
- Yancoal Cameby Downs Mine– Queensland operations include Middlemount (JV with Peabody Energy Australia),Yarrabee and Cameby Downs (managed by Yancoal on behalf of Yanzhou)
Get the right training
Learn more about the Bowen Basin mining location.
The Bowen Basin contains the largest coal reserves in Australia. This major coal producing region contains one of the world’s largest deposits of bituminous coal.
The Basin contains much of the known Permian coal resources in Queensland including virtually all of the known mineable prime coking coal. It was named for the Bowen River, itself named after Queensland’s first Governor, Sir George Bowen.
The Bowen Basin covers an area of over 60,000 square kilometres in Central Queensland running from Collinsville to Theodore and is dotted with many coal mines operated by multiple mining companies.