NSW jobs boost.
ASX-listed Whitehaven Coal has announced it is to begin construction on the $767-million Maules Creek project after securing final approval to develop the open-cut mine.
The Maules Creek Coal Project is located in the heart of the Gunnedah Basin, NSW. The coal mining operations are about 18km north-east of Boggabri and only 16km from the main rail line which has a direct link to the Port of Newcastle coal loading and storage terminals. The distance from the mine to the port is approximately 360km.
Whitehaven Coal announced it has been a tough 3 years of going through the approval stages which has now been given the green light by the Australian government. Indications are Whitehaven will start construction as soon as possible. Now that formal approval is in place contracts can signed, infrastructure work such as fencing, access roads and storage facilities for the project would get under way. This is a significant shot in the arm for NSW jobs and the coal mining operations in the state.
The contracts for the design and construction of the rail infrastructure were almost finalised whilst other contracts such as electrical power supply† and bulk earthworks are ready to implement.
$160 million already invested
Maules Creek contains high quality, low ash, low sulphur and low phosphorus semi-soft coking coal and low ash, low sulphur, high energy thermal coal, which was expected to yield up to 12.4-million tons of coal per year. It is also one of the largest coal deposits in Australia with 362Mt of recoverable coal reserves.
The project has been approved to extract 13-million tons of coal per year and expectations were that the first coal sales would be delivered in the second half of 2014. It is expected because of the size of the coal reserves,† there will be jobs in mining at Maules Creek for approximately 30 years.
To date, the investment in Maules Creek† has been $160-million of the 767 million in capital required to develop the resource. This has been invested in developing the coal handling and preparation plant as well as initial real estate purchases.
Whitehaven Coal management has said there will be a flurry of construction activity, starting with the construction of the rail spur to connect into the existing railway to the Port of Newcastle and subsequent rail loop to start in August. The build time is expected to be around 12-months, with other construction works looking to be completed within the same period.
NSW Mining Jobs
The good news for mining jobs in NSW is that the Maules Creek project would employ around 340 workers and contractors during the build phase. Expectation are for 470 mining jobs to be created to run the mining operations. This includes extraction, handling and logistics. The coal mine will be run by permanent staff as well as selective contractors.
The good news of the development echoed across the stock market, clearly rebuilding the confidence investors have placed in the new-look Whitehaven after months of internal management issues and failed takeover bids by Nathan Tinkler and his mining company. Shares in Whitehaven lifted 1.79% on this week to A$2.28 apiece.
About Whitehaven Coal
With a workforce which surpass 1000 people over the next 5 years. They have a high quality portfolio of producing mines and are developing 3 of† the most significant new coal projects in Australia with the†underground longwall operation and 3 existing open cut mines in NSW’s Gunnedah Basin.
NSW jobs in mining at Maules Creek
There will be a rush on to secure a slice of the action in terms of mining jobs. This is a big project and as usual, at iMINCO, we like to give you tips on how to get in on the action.
- Do your research on Whitehaven Coal and the Maules Creek project
- Whitehaven are looking for smart, committed, motivated†people who value a dynamic culture and quick decision making. Make sure this is reflected in your social media profile. Don’t give any reason for a mining company to block your application. They will look to social media FIRST, to get an insight into your personal profile.
- Make sure your mining resume is up-to-date, is mining focused and your tickets, qualifications and coal board medical is current.
- Read as much as you can about the mining company’s latest developments such as the latest Whitehaven Coal Australian Stock Exchange information. or the latest
- Click here†to view and apply for current Whitehaven open cut mine vacancies.
- Click here†to view and apply for current†Whitehaven underground mine vacancies.
- Click here†to view and apply for current†Whitehaven vacancies in other fields.
- Sign up for news and with Whitehaven Coal
- Get our FREE Project News newsletter for up-to-date information on Maules Creek jobs and Whitehaven Coal news
More Whitehaven Coal and Maules Creek news and information
- NSW Mining Jobs With Whitehaven Coal
- Mining Careers NSW
- Maules Creek Mining Jobs (NSW)
- Mining jobs NSW
Reference: Whitehaven Coal Maules Creek Mining Project Approval | NSW Mining Jbs