Miner General Services – Indigenous Employment Opportunities
Miner General Services Indigenous Mining Operations Australia
At BHP Billiton support people to grow, learn, develop their skills and reach their potential.
With a global portfolio of operations, they offer a diverse and inclusive environment with extraordinary career opportunities. The strategy is to focus on creating a safe work environment where employees feel strongly connected to values and objectives, and where the capability of the people is key to success.
Join Olympic Dam a safe, reliable, globally competitive business delivered by people. At Olympic Dam they care that everyone goes home safe to do the things they love. They also believe Leadership drives culture and culture drives performance. All incidents are preventable and everyone has a role to play. Come and be a part of this success.
One of Australia’s largest mines and a complex minerals processing operation, Olympic Dam, is unique in that they produce Copper, Uranium, Gold and Silver. The local township of Roxby Downs is an active and progressive community offering a variety of modern, well equipped housing, educational, health, sporting, leisure, shopping and cultural facilities
Please note this position is based at Olympic Dam, operating on a 7/7 Day/Night roster pattern arrangement.
About the role
Reporting to the Shift Supervisor, the primary focus of the Miner General Services position will see you providing day-to-day services for the underground operations at Olympic Dam. Duties include, installation of poly pipe to provide air and water for the further advancement of mining tunnels.
In this role you will need the following:
- Promote and consistently follow the standards and procedures designed to enable you to work safely and effectively every day
- Install and maintain ventilation infrastructure including vent bags, mesh panels and barricades to direct airflow as required in the underground operations
- Operate mobile equipment including, manual underground vehicles, forklifts and loaders
- Installation and removal of poly piping from the mine roof
- Installation and removal of ventilation infrastructure as directed by supervisors
- Building effective relationships with team members across all areas of the mine to ensure the effective and safe completion of tasks
- Reporting of events and hazards in a timely and accurate manner.
- Proven commitment to look after your own well being and the confidence to speak up when others put themselves in harm’s way
- Ensure all safe work systems, procedures and standards are adhered to through frequent inspection of the workplace
- Be in possession of, or able to obtain a Police clearance, High Risk Work License, Working At Heights & EWP High risk
- In possession of or able to obtain a Motor Vehicle and 4×4 Light Vehicle license (manual competency)
- Possess effective communication skills across multiple levels and display the ability to work effectively within the Olympic Dam operations teams
- Identify and implement opportunities to improve productivity, efficiency and cost effectiveness.
- In possession of or able to obtain ticket/competency in hanging underground ventilation controls (Vent fans)
Supporting a diverse workforce
At BHP Billiton, they recognize that they are strengthened by diversity. They are committed to providing a work environment in which everyone is included, treated fairly and with respect.They are an Equal Opportunity employer and encourage applications from women and Indigenous people.
They also know there are many aspects of employees’ lives that are important, and work is only one of these, so they offer benefits to enable your work to fit with your life. These benefits include flexible working options; a generous paid parental leave policy; other extended leave entitlements and parent rooms.
The positions will only be open to Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander applicants. The filling of these positions is intended to constitute a special/equal opportunity measure under section 8(1) of the Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth), and South Australia’s s 65 105 of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 (SA)
How to apply
Apply today if you want to work with the latest technology and innovation, in an environment where they challenge you to drive positive change.
Click Apply for Miner General Services Indigenous Mining Operations Australia
Please apply online before 5:00pm on Friday, 15 December 2017.
Please note, screening and interviews may take place prior to the advertised close date.
They support flexible work at BHP Billiton. Talk about the flexible working options in this team.
Learn more about the Bowen Basin mining location.
The Bowen Basin contains the largest coal reserves in Australia. This major coal producing region contains one of the world’s largest deposits of bituminous coal.
The Basin contains much of the known Permian coal resources in Queensland including virtually all of the known mineable prime coking coal. It was named for the Bowen River, itself named after Queensland’s first Governor, Sir George Bowen.
The Bowen Basin covers an area of over 60,000 square kilometres in Central Queensland running from Collinsville to Theodore and is dotted with many coal mines operated by multiple mining companies.
Caterpillar Haul truck 793
The 793F has a load cpacityof 226.8 ton (US) and a top speed of 60 kilometres an hour. It's a turbocharged air-to-air aftercooled diesel engine that has enhanced power management capability for maximum hauling performance. The C175-16 is a 16-cylinder, four-stroke design that uses long, effective power strokes for optimum efficiency.
The 793F, is an autonomous-driven truck. Over 100 793F trucks are now operating via Command for hauling, the Cat autonomous truck operations system, which is a part of Cat MineStar™
Read more about the CAT 793 automomous mining dump truck on our website.
Resources and Infrastructure Industry (RII)
Commonly refered to as Black Coal Competency (BCC), the RII competency is one that can be attained by an operator who has previously worked in the industry and has completed a number of operating hours on various types of machinery.
RII competency is granted to prove correct and safe operation of mine site machinery. It is a very useful qualification to have, as it confirms the operator has the required experience and expertise.
You can transfer your nationally recognised civil Excavator, Front End Loader or Dozer tickets only to RII Black Coal Competencies.