Labourers are in demand within the minerals industry as they are central to operations. They help with construction, repair and maintenance and may perform tasks including:
- Operating machines;
- Assisting workers to extract geological materials, using hand tools and equipment;
- Helping to extract craft workers, such as earth drillers, blasters and explosives workers, derrick operators, and mining machine operators and monitoring equipment operation during the extraction process;
- Supplying equipment or cleaning work areas;
- Collecting geological matter, using hand tools and testing devices;
- Signalling workers to start extraction;
- Repairing automotive and drilling equipment;
- Delivery and set-up of materials, devices and machine parts, using hand tools;
- Loading materials into gas or well hole, or equipment, and
- Dismantling and extracting excavation material and equipment.
All-Rounders: $65,000 “ď $120,000
Entry to this occupation is generally through relevant experience. Mining companies and contractors are the main employers in the mining industry.
How to apply for these types of positions
Start your search either using Google or go to the mining jobs boards like Seek.com.au, indeed.com.au and search for “labourer in the mines”, or “mine jobs labouring”, or “labourer mining job no experience”. You’ll need to consider doing a Standard 11 Generic Induction course if you want to work in QLD in a coal mining or metaliferous environment.