NSW Mining Jobs
The Gloucester Project in the Gloucester Basin in New South Wales, owned and operated by AGL, was this week given conditional approval by the Federal Environment Minister Tony Bourke, together with two other coal projects, Maules Creek and Boggabri.
NSW Minerals Council chief executive Stephen Galilee said the Maules Creek and Boggabri mines would deliver mining jobs and boost economic growth in regional New South Wales.
“These two projects will help underpin the long term economic strength of the New England North West region and the NSW economy more broadly,” Mr Galilee said in a statement.
The proposals were subject to some of the strictest approval and assessment protocols in the world, so the community should be confident the companies will meet very high environmental standards, he said.
The proposed Gloucester Project provides a means of commercially developing the gas resources of the Gloucester Basin in NSW. The project includes:
- Drilling production wells in the development area;
- Building infrastructure such as roads and gas and water gathering lines;
- A central gas processing facility to treat the gas and water;
- A high pressure gas transmission pipeline to deliver the gas to the existing network at Hexham; and
- A Delivery Station at Hexham to transfer the gas from the pipeline to the Sydney Newcastle trunk pipeline.
The project will benefit the community, the Hunter region and the State. Specifically, the project represents an important development of New South Wales resources because it will:
- Supply energy to the Sydney and Hunter regions and NSW as a whole;
- Create employment opportunities, during construction and operation;
- Improve service;
- Develop NSW’s natural resources in an environmentally sustainable manner;
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions in the region; and
- Decrease reliance on power supplies outside of NSW.
With NSW facing a gas supply shortage from its interstate suppliers by 2017, additional gas resources are needed to maintain a reliable and affordable supply.
The Gloucester Gas Project is an important source of future supply of natural gas for New South Wales. The first gas from Gloucester is expected to be available from mid-2016.
3 NSW mining projects approved | Gloucester Coal Seam Gas Project