Geotechnical Engineer – North Goonyella Mine
- 9 Day fortnight
- A culture focused on development and career progression
- Competitive remuneration and employee benefits package
Peabody is the leading global pure-play coal company, serving power and steel customers in more than 25 countries on six continents. The company offers significant scale, high-quality assets, and diversity in geography and products Peabody is guided by seven core values: safety, customer focus, leadership, people, excellence, integrity and sustainability. They offer an inclusive work environment and engage, recognize and develop there employees.
About the role:
North Goonyella mine is an underground longwall mine located 160 kilometers west of Mackay producing a premium quality, high strength coking coal for export markets.
Reporting to the Technical Services Manager, you will be responsible for the professional delivery of high quality geotechnical and geological services to the North Goonyella mine.
This is a statutory position and includes the following responsibilities:
- Achieving the companies HSEC objectives and targets.
- Compliance with HSEC Company policies and procedures, the Coal Mining Safety and Health Act and Regulations.
- Determine strategy on the collection and collation of geotechnical / geological information relevant to the mining process
- Provide assistance to the Longwall, Development and Outbye coordinators in the management of strata as well as secondary support contractors
- Liaise with relevant production personnel to ensure effective support is provided in terms of geotechnical engineering needs
- Provide information and advice to mine planning processes to meet production and quality targets.
- Manage relevant use of external consultants for peer review and outside expertise where required
- Ensure delivery of site short term hazard plans / geological models on a timely basis
- Champion the implementation of site reconciliation processes to achieve company standards
- Provide leadership and direction for the execution of mine site surface to underground drilling programs and relevant projects as required
This position is offered on a Monday to Friday roster with 1 rostered Friday off per fortnight, and can allow for a residential, DIDO or FIFO lifestyle.
- Tertiary Geosciences degree:
- Bachelor of Science (Geology), and/or
- Bachelor of Geomechanics, and/or
- Masters in Geoscience
- 3-5 years’ experience as Geotechnical engineer in underground mining environment
- Working knowledge of Coal Mine legislation and regulations
- Understanding of Mining Methods, Techniques and sequencing
- Computer skills
- Microsoft Office Suite
- SAP/Vulcan highly desirable
- Ability to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Attention to detail
- Commit to safety and health as a way of life
- Foster a culture of inspiration, innovation, collaboration and execution
- Are committed to developing an inclusive and diverse workplace
- Offer a reward and recognition program
- Provide professional and technical development opportunities
- Support employees to achieve professional accreditation
Our mission is to create superior value for shareholders as the leading global supplier of coal, which enables economic prosperity and a better quality of life.
For more information, visit https://www.peabodyenergy.com/Work or click apply now.
Please apply directly as submissions from recruitment agencies will not be considered without prior approval. All applications will be treated as highly confidential and will not be disclosed beyond HR and the hiring manager.
Would you like to apply?
This is an excellent opportunity to join a dynamic mining operation that recognizes achievement and offers genuine career opportunities. Submit an application for this position, use the Apply button below. Don’t forget you will need the appropriate mine site qualifications such as Standard 11 *Standard 11 Training*Apply for Geotechnical Engineer North Goonyella Mine QLD