Downer EDI Limited (Downer) “Ē a leading provider of engineering and infrastructure management services to customers operating in market sectors including Minerals & Metals, Oil & Gas, Power, Road & Rail Infrastructure, Telecommunications and Water “Ē had nearly $19 billion of work-in-hand at 30th December 2012.
Downer are focused on world class methodologies in designing, constructing and maintaining the best possible outcomes for their clients. They are strong advocates of employee safety and work with communities to maintain the mining areas in which they operate. Downer is committed to a goal of Zero Harm for its workforce.
For Minerals and Metals and Oil†and Gas customers, Downer Australia offers a good range of engineering and construction services that covers a vast array of disciplines. They do it all, from concept, design and planning through to construction, operation and maintenance phases of the total project phase.
These services are supported by their mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and technical support businesses, which enable Downer EDI to maintain a safe working environment where zero accidents, cost efficiencies and completing the job within the agreed time-frames are the goal.
Downer services are strengthened by having their own Australia-wide fabrication workshops which ensure high quality engineering products are manufactured to exacting standards. Their customers include some of the big mining companies such as BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, Xstrata, Wesfarmers, Woodside and Fortescue Metals Group.
For their public sector and industrial water areas they provide design and construction, operations and maintenance services for water and waste water delivery systems.† Customers include Water Corp WA and SA Water.
In terms of communications, Downer build, operate and maintain traditional communications networks as well as a comprehensive wireless infrastructure.† Their customers include Foxtel and Telstra.
Downer Jobs in Mining & Construction
Downer Australia recognises that people are central to the success of their business and the key factor in their reputation.
There are always jobs at Downer. Their jobs board contains a good selection of positions vacant in a variety of job roles. For a complete list of Downer jobs in Mining & Construction click here
Jobs at Downer – a checklist
Before you apply for jobs at Downer, iMINCO would like to share these tips.
- The biggest tip we can give you is do your research on Downer first! Understand their business, what they do, where they do it and what their future growth is. You can take this knowledge and add little pieces of it to your cover letter. You will be asked questions about why you want to work at Downer, so you need to have some good pre-prepared answers.
- Make sure your resume is up-to-date and focused on either mining or construction
- Here are some resume tips to help you be more successful with your Downer Jobs applications.
- Do you want to know how to impress Downer?… read our interview tips.
- Some of Downer’s mining operations require you to be fit for work. Have you completed your Coal Board Medical and is it current.
- Is your mining induction card current?
- Think about what other mining, management, machinery skills training and OHS safety courses you can do to increase your job opportunities.
- how to get into mining with no experience.
- Increase your mining knowledge with iMINCO Project News.
- Learn how to control and maintain a 4 wheel drive vehicle as most Downer operations will require this skill.
- Make sure your social media profile does not contain anything that may hamper your chances of an interview. Remove any foul language or dodgy pictures of you in compromising poses or situations.
- After applying for a job at Downer, make sure you follow it up with a phone call to ask if they have received your application. This shows you are keen, thorough and action based.
- If you do get an email or a phone call regarding your Job application, be prepared to answer questions on the spot – know your stuff and be confident in your abilities.
- If you’ve have not heard back from Downer within a week or so, call them up and enquire about your application assessment, be persistent – but polite at the same time. The application process can take time, be patient, although don’t drop the all and forget about it.
- Keep yourself up-to-date with news for Downer EDI and use this when you are talking to the recruiters or with Downer staff directly. Remember this – every business is looking for good, reliable, committed people who can think on their feet and contribute to the growth of the business. If you’re thinking only about yourself and what you can get out of a job with Downer, then you have to think about changing your mindset
Apprenticeships can lead to a permanent job at Downer
Trades people are the backbone of their business and Downer EDI consistently offer apprenticeships across a range of trades. To ensure you are considered for the next round of cadet programs.
Apply to be a part of the Downer team via their Careers website.
Downer EDI Cadet programs
Downer EDI Road operation teams in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and the Northern Territory offerwhich include contribution to the cost of the cadets’ education and in return, they are†prepared for an inspiring career with the Downer Group.† The program provides an opportunity for tertiary students to gain work experience during their semester breaks at a grassroots level and during this time they learn about all aspects of the business, before progressing their career.
As a cadet, you will be provided with:
- Financial assistance to help pay for your studies throughout the year
- Paid vacation work
- A guaranteed permanent job at Downer at the end of your studies
†Downer Jobs | Downer EDI Mining & Construction Contractor