If you're thinking of applying for this job, make sure your resume is up-to-date and includes at least some of the keywords contained within the advert.Click Here to download our Expert Mining Resume Guide and create the best version of your mining resume.
You need a Standard 11 Mining Induction to be eligible for this job. If you don't have one and are not sure what this is, click the Standard 11 Mining Induction link further down the page.
Safety is a high priority in this industry. This job requires you to have a heightened sense of awareness and also appreciate the importance of safety in the workplace.
See more jobs in the Latest News category.
Downer EDI Limited (Downer) “” a leading provider of engineering and infrastructure management services to customers operating in market sectors including Minerals & Metals, Oil & Gas, Power, Road & Rail Infrastructure, Telecommunications and Water “” had nearly $19 billion of work-in-hand at 30th December 2012.
Downer are focused on world class methodologies in designing, constructing and maintaining the best possible outcomes for their clients. They are strong advocates of employee safety and work with communities to maintain the mining areas in which they operate. Downer is committed to a goal of Zero Harm for its workforce.
For Minerals and Metals and Oil and Gas customers, Downer Australia offers a good range of engineering and construction services that covers a vast array of disciplines. They do it all, from concept, design and planning through to construction, operation and maintenance phases of the total project phase.
These services are supported by their mechanical, electrical, instrumentation and technical support businesses, which enable Downer EDI to maintain a safe working environment where zero accidents, cost efficiencies and completing the job within the agreed time-frames are the goal.
Downer services are strengthened by having their own Australia-wide fabrication workshops which ensure high quality engineering products are manufactured to exacting standards. Their customers include some of the big mining companies such as BHP Billiton, Rio Tinto, Xstrata, Wesfarmers, Woodside and Fortescue Metals Group.
For their public sector and industrial water areas they provide design and construction, operations and maintenance services for water and waste water delivery systems. Customers include Water Corp WA and SA Water.
In terms of communications, Downer build, operate and maintain traditional communications networks as well as a comprehensive wireless infrastructure. Their customers include Foxtel and Telstra.
Downer Jobs in Mining & Construction
Downer Australia recognises that people are central to the success of their business and the key factor in their reputation.
There are always jobs at Downer. Their jobs board contains a good selection of positions vacant in a variety of job roles. For a complete list of Downer jobs in Mining & Construction click here
Jobs at Downer – a checklist
Before you apply for jobs at Downer, iMINCO would like to share these tips.
- The biggest tip we can give you is do your research on Downer first! Understand their business, what they do, where they do it and what their future growth is. You can take this knowledge and add little pieces of it to your cover letter. You will be asked questions about why you want to work at Downer, so you need to have some good pre-prepared answers.
- Make sure your resume is up-to-date and focused on either mining or construction
- Here are some resume tips to help you be more successful with your Downer Jobs applications.
- Do you want to know how to impress Downer?… read our interview tips.
- Some of Downer’s mining operations require you to be fit for work. Have you completed your Coal Board Medical and is it current.
- Is your mining induction card current?
- Think about what other mining, management, machinery skills training and OHS safety courses you can do to increase your job opportunities.
- how to get into mining with no experience.
- Increase your mining knowledge with iMINCO Project News.
- Learn how to control and maintain a 4 wheel drive vehicle as most Downer operations will require this skill.
- Make sure your social media profile does not contain anything that may hamper your chances of an interview. Remove any foul language or dodgy pictures of you in compromising poses or situations.
- After applying for a job at Downer, make sure you follow it up with a phone call to ask if they have received your application. This shows you are keen, thorough and action based.
- If you do get an email or a phone call regarding your Job application, be prepared to answer questions on the spot – know your stuff and be confident in your abilities.
- If you’ve have not heard back from Downer within a week or so, call them up and enquire about your application assessment, be persistent – but polite at the same time. The application process can take time, be patient, although don’t drop the all and forget about it.
- Keep yourself up-to-date with news for Downer EDI and use this when you are talking to the recruiters or with Downer staff directly. Remember this – every business is searching for good, reliable, committed people who can think on their feet and contribute to the growth of the business. If you’re thinking only about yourself and what you can get out of a job with Downer, then you have to think about changing your mindset
Apprenticeships can lead to a permanent job at Downer
Trades people are the backbone of their business and Downer EDI consistently offer apprenticeships across a range of trades. To ensure you are considered for the next round of cadet programs.
Apply to be a part of the Downer team via their Careers website.
Downer EDI Cadet programs
Downer EDI Road operation teams in Victoria, Tasmania, South Australia and the Northern Territory offerwhich include contribution to the cost of the cadets’ education and in return, they are prepared for an inspiring career with the Downer Group. The program provides an opportunity for tertiary students to gain work experience during their semester breaks at a grassroots level and during this time they learn about all aspects of the business, before progressing their career.
As a cadet, you will be provided with:
- Financial assistance to help pay for your studies throughout the year
- Paid vacation work
- A guaranteed permanent job at Downer at the end of your studies
Downer Jobs | Downer EDI Mining & Construction Contractor
Dump Truck Operator Salaries
How much do dump truck production operators earn in the mines?
Depending on where you live, or which state the mine is located in, as you can see from the information below, the salaries are very different. In Queensland and New South Wales, mining wages are pretty much the same for Dump Truck Operators. Working at a Western Australian mine you can expect to earn about 20% more than if you worked in QLD or NSW.
Dump truck operator jobs are advertised on SEEK and other mining jobs boards regularly.
According to online jobs website Indeed (au.indeed.com), the average salary for a Dump Truck Production Operator in Australia is $41.98 per hour. Salary estimates are based on 326 salaries submitted anonymously to Indeed by Dump Truck Drivers. The data was collected from past and present job ads on Indeed over the last 36 months.
Payscale.com Dump Truck Driver Pay Estimates
Looking at the salary of an entry-level Dump Truck Driver with less than 1 year experience, you can expect to earn an average hourly wage (includes bonus, and overtime pay) of AU$42 based on 24 pay reviews.
With so many different and conflicting articles about salaries, it's difficult to know what the exact take home pay is for a Dump Truck Operator.
Blackwater, Queensland Dump Truck Salaries +40%
According to Payscale.com, Dump Truck Operators in the Queensland Bowen Basin area of Blackwater, earn an average of 39.7% more than the national average. Dump Truck Operators also get more money in Western Australia (26.6% more) and Kalgoorlie (17.0% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Melbourne, Victoria (19.6% less), Brisbane, Queensland (16.2% less) and Sydney, New South Wales (14.3% less).
SEEK mining job salaries for dump truck production operators
What are dump truck operator employers looking for?
The following list is a collection of requirements you'll find in most advertised dump truckk operator jobs
- Experience operating CAT trucks
- A willingness to work rotating rosters
- Ability to contribute and work positively in a team environment
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical including drug and alcohol test
- Competitive Hourly Rate plus super on all hours worked
- Current Drivers Licence
- Current Standard 11 or willing to obtain a Standard 11
- Have a strong commitment to safety and Zero Harm and ensure this is a
- priority and at the forefront of all your decision-making
- Have a strong work history
- High level of safety awareness
- Relevant current RII Competencies
- Relevant RII/ SSE sign offs/ Competencies
- Right to work in Australia - Birth Certificate or Australian Passport
- Sound Work History
- Be reliable and a team player
Caterpillar Haul truck 777
The Caterpillar 777 is a 100-ton haul truck, typically used in open pit mining, manufactured by Caterpillar Inc. The first model of Caterpillar 777 was introduced in 1974. Its diesel engine is capable of putting out 870 horsepower. The 777D, introduced in 1996, was powered by a 938-horsepower diesel.
This truck is one of the entry-level haul trucks most new operators will learn on. Once competent, they will move up to the larger 785, especially when working on a coal mining site.
Caterpillar Haul truck 785
The Caterpillar 785 Haul Truck, Dump Truck or off-road truck as they are called in the U.S. are still used across the world in open-cut mining operations. This huge truck has proven itâ€™s worth for many years and has often been the entry-level truck for new operators.
Progressing when competent, operators move up to the larger CAT 793 and CAT 797 truck, giving them the confidence and ability to handle larger load capacities on a range of challenging mine sites.
One of the biggest advantages you can get if you are looking to learn how to drive these big machines is to get to know the finer details.
Caterpillar Haul truck 793
The 793F has a load cpacityof 226.8 ton (US) and a top speed of 60 kilometres an hour. It's a turbocharged air-to-air aftercooled diesel engine that has enhanced power management capability for maximum hauling performance. The C175-16 is a 16-cylinder, four-stroke design that uses long, effective power strokes for optimum efficiency.
The 793F, is an autonomous-driven truck. Over 100 793F trucks are now operating via Command for hauling, the Cat autonomous truck operations system, which is a part of Cat MineStarâ„˘
Read more about the CAT 793 automomous mining dump truck on our website.