Caterpillar 789 Haul Truck Overview
The CAT 789D is a lot faster than it’s competitors in certain applications. For a lot of mining companies, the Caterpillar brand is preferred over other makes. The Caterpillar 789 dump truck is typically used in open pit mining. The 789 has a capacity of 177 tonnes, and its engine can produce 1770 horsepower.
There are a lot of Cat 789 dump trucks on various mine sites in Australia; working hard in open-cut coal mines as well as hauling raw iron ore dirt across the open, dusty mine sites of Western Australia.
CAT 789D specs
- Engine Model – 3516C – HD
- Gross Power – 2100.0 HP
|Forward – 1||7.8 mile/h|
|Forward – 2||10.6 mile/h|
|Forward – 3||14.4 mile/h|
|Forward – 4||19.4 mile/h|
|Forward – 5||26.3 mile/h|
|Forward – 6||35.5 mile/h|
|Engine Model||3516B EUI|
|Gross Power||1900.0 HP|
|Rated Net Power – ISO 9249||1791.0 HP|
Cooling and Onboard Management Systems
- The new modular higher density cooling system with larger fans is hydraulically driven for more efficient cooling with lower fuel consumption and noise levels
- Optional oil renewal system extends engine oil change intervals from 500 hours to 4,000 hours or more to increase machine availability and reduces costs.
- Computerized system electronically protects the engine during cold starts, high altitude operation, air filter plugging, and high exhaust temperature.
- Five configurations are performance matched to meet specific applications and conditions.
Truck Body Systems
- Caterpillar designed and built the CAT 789D for rugged performance and reliability in the toughest mining environments.
- Less time spent on maintenance means more time on the haul roads in some of the world’s biggest mines.