If you're thinking of applying for this job, make sure your resume is up-to-date and includes at least some of the keywords contained within the advert.Click Here to download our Expert Mining Resume Guide and create the best version of your mining resume.
This is a Bowen Basin job located in the Mackay & Coalfields area. Do you live close to this location, or are you willing to FIFO from within Queensland?
You need a Standard 11 Mining Induction to be eligible for this job. If you don't have one and are not sure what this is, click the Standard 11 Mining Induction link further down the page.
This job asks for motivated people. How do you motivate yourself?
Only applicants with real skills should apply. When sending in your application for the job, be sure to highlight the skills you have which are relevant.
See more jobs in the Latest News category.
Mining Jobs Queensland
Queensland Government grants approval for state’s third-largest coal mine with 1,000 jobs promised
Sept 2020. Olive Downs Coking Coal Project 1,000 mining jobs in the Bowen Basin.
- 1,000 Queensland mining jobs.
- 15 million tonnes of metallurgical coal per year.
- Coal exported to international markets in Japan and China.
- Mine is same size as Adani Carmichael mine.
- Pembroke Resources are running the mine.
- A World-Class Steelmaking coal development of significant scale and size with up to 80 years of mine life.
- Steelmaking coal is an un-substitutable ingredient in the production of steel, an essential material that underpins almost every aspect of modern industry and society.
- Located in the world’s best metallurgical coal basin, the Bowen Basin. The Bowen Basin is a mature mining region that is well supported by existing infrastructure and logistics.
- A new mining development that will create additional jobs for the Isaac Region and the state of Queensland
- Large reserves and scale underpin a robust mining operation that will provide jobs for families in the region for generations
- Significant contribution to Queensland and the Isaac Region through state royalties and increased economic activity.
- Funded through to production through committed financial backing.
- Managed under the stewardship of an experienced team with a proven track record in responsible mining.
- Large scale operation that is suited to the latest mining fleet and environmental management technology.
- More than 90% of the product from the mine will be metallurgical coal.
- ML granted to commence stage-1 construction and production
Construction will soon get underway on what will become Queensland’s third-largest coal mine, 40 kilometres south of Moranbah in the Bowen Basin. When completed, Olive Downs will be about the same size as the currently under construction Adani Carmichael mine project in the Galilee Basin.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the State Government signed off on the mining lease for the Olive Downs Coking Coal Project, which is run by Pembroke Resources.
The central Queensland mine will have a production life of 80 years and the Government says it will create 1,000 jobs.
The Government expected its royalties from the mine to be somewhere in the billions.
“Let me say very clearly that not only do I support the coal industry here, but I’ve also been over to the steel mill in Japan,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
Pembroke said it would produce up to 15 million tonnes of metallurgical coal per year.
It will be exported to international markets in Japan and China.
Pembroke CEO Barry Tudor said the mining lease approvals were the final hurdle to beginning stage one of the project.
Ms Palaszczuk said her Government had approved $21 billion in resource projects in the current parliamentary term.
ALL TRADES- Shutdown Work
Work is various from 2 7 day shutdown across various sites, in the Bowen Basin. Accommodation and a transport can be provided.
To Apply you must have the below:
- Transport and a valid Drivers License
- Trade Qualifications or experience working as a skilled Trades Assistant
- Standard 11 Induction Training & Coal Board Medical
- Various Competencies such as Rigging, Confined Space and Working at Heights
- Available for work starting this month!
Ideally you will have some or all of the below site inductions:
- BMA – Saraji, Peak Downs, Blackwater
- Glencore – Rolleston and Collinsville
- Anglo – Foxleigh and Moranbah North
- Hail Creek
- Curragh Mine
New Bowen Basin mine could have 20 year + life-cycle
In a recent notification to the Australian Stock Exchange, International Coal (ASX: ICX) has indicated it has been granted the last of three tenures comprising the highly prospective Consuelo coking coal project in Queensland`s Bowen Basin.
Drilling operation are now starting to get into gear as the race is on to discover the actual size of the coal deposit.
The mining company is working hard with its legal teams tenement advisors to finalise payments to local indigenous communities with a view to conducting compensation agreements and cultural heritage clearances for the area in preparation for drilling operations.
“The new drilling program will help define the location of the coal and its quality”
One of the Bowen Basin coal seams is expected to hold some of the shallowest soft coking coal coal seams, which is currently being developed with Coal Face Resources. This would be followed by the investment in underground longwall mining in around 2020.
Details of the Bowen Basin Consuelo Project
The Consuelo Project, which consists of 3 separate titles, has an expectation of yielding between 800 million and 1,700 million tonnes of high grade coal.
The mining area itself is located around 15 km off the existing Blackwater Rail line to Gladstone and sits between Glencore Xstratas’ Rolleston Mine, which produces 8 million tonnes per annum and Bandanna Energy`s Arcadia Project that has an Inferred Resource of around 273 million tonnes.
The Consuelo Project is a huge mining operation and even if only 50 per cent of the expected target tonnage is proven to exist and coal quality is of a high grade, then the project could support a substantial mining operation in the Bowen Basin.
Nearby, the Rolleston mining operation owned by Glencore Xstrata, has an Ore Reserve of 173 million tonnes with an expected mine life in excess of 20 years – even without additional expansion.
International Coal has begun discussions with rail and port providers hoping for a solution which will allow it access to the Blackwater rail system after 2016. The Blackwater rail network currently delivers coal from a number of mines in the Bowen Basin, including Glencore Xstrata’s Rolleston mine, to the Port of Gladstone.
What does this project mean for Queensland mining jobs?
With so many mining projects on the drawing board in Queensland, it can be difficult for mining jobseekers to see where the job opportunities are. As with most proposed coal mining projects in Queensland and throughout Australia, the time taken from mining approvals to the creation of mining jobs for Queenslanders’ can often be many months, if not years.
Develop a career in the mining industry
This is one of the frustrations people feel when they are searching for ways to develop a career in the mining industry in Queensland. Immediate jobs are the goal of many people as they seek to earn a high salary in a short space of time.
This is true for a lot of people, however, there are other ways of viewing the long timeframes to bring a mine into full production. For opportunistic and forward thinking individuals, this is the perfect time to decide on a career in the mining industry.
Job planning, training, education and experience do take time to master – no matter what profession a person decides is right for their situation. This being the case, the Bowen Basin Consuelo Project is another example of an opportunity for mining career seekers to think about preparing for a job in the mines.
Entry-level mining jobs
Getting the right mining training courses completed combined with real-world experience in mining or quarrying industries, is a sure-fire way to prepare the ground for career advancement. Entry-level mining jobs are a great way for people who are searching for a mining job to get a foot-in-the-door.
Simplistic jobs such as cleaners, hospitality workers, chef’s, general hands, labourers and trades assistants can often turn into full time mining jobs operating heavy machinery like dump trucks and excavators – or even into management, human resources and training and assessing roles.
Self-education is the best way to increase your income
Many people have started at the bottom and worked their way up the ladder by working hard and studying at the same time. Self-education is the best way to increase your income in the mining industry. There’s no shortage of opportunities for enthusiastic and self-motivated people who want to carve out a solid future in the industry.
- Are you searching for a way into a mining job in the Bowen Basin? Start with the right training and consider enrolling in the Mining Induction course (Standard 11 Induction Training)
- Are you a new starter who wants to see if job on the Consuelo Project is right for you? Read about new starters in the mining industry.
- Are you a tradesman or machinery operator searching for ways to break into the Queensland coal mining sector? Upgrade your qualifications and get mine-ready.
- 1> Get your copy of the iMINCO mining jobs book. This is an absolutely free e-book that shows you exactly what you need to do to beef up your mining job chances.
- 2> Get your copy of the iMINCO “Experts Guide to Entry Level Mining Jobs book“. This is a good read for new starters who have never worked in mining before.
- Move into mine-site management by completing a Supervisors course G1, G8, G9 (online Supervisor training courses are available too)
Dump Truck Operator Salaries
How much do dump truck production operators earn in the mines?
Depending on where you live, or which state the mine is located in, as you can see from the information below, the salaries are very different. In Queensland and New South Wales, mining wages are pretty much the same for Dump Truck Operators. Working at a Western Australian mine you can expect to earn about 20% more than if you worked in QLD or NSW.
Dump truck operator jobs are advertised on SEEK and other mining jobs boards regularly.
According to online jobs website Indeed (au.indeed.com), the average salary for a Dump Truck Production Operator in Australia is $41.98 per hour. Salary estimates are based on 326 salaries submitted anonymously to Indeed by Dump Truck Drivers. The data was collected from past and present job ads on Indeed over the last 36 months.
Payscale.com Dump Truck Driver Pay Estimates
Looking at the salary of an entry-level Dump Truck Driver with less than 1 year experience, you can expect to earn an average hourly wage (includes bonus, and overtime pay) of AU$42 based on 24 pay reviews.
With so many different and conflicting articles about salaries, it's difficult to know what the exact take home pay is for a Dump Truck Operator.
Blackwater, Queensland Dump Truck Salaries +40%
According to Payscale.com, Dump Truck Operators in the Queensland Bowen Basin area of Blackwater, earn an average of 39.7% more than the national average. Dump Truck Operators also get more money in Western Australia (26.6% more) and Kalgoorlie (17.0% more). The lowest salaries can be found in Melbourne, Victoria (19.6% less), Brisbane, Queensland (16.2% less) and Sydney, New South Wales (14.3% less).
SEEK mining job salaries for dump truck production operators
What are dump truck operator employers looking for?
The following list is a collection of requirements you'll find in most advertised dump truckk operator jobs
- Experience operating CAT trucks
- A willingness to work rotating rosters
- Ability to contribute and work positively in a team environment
- Able to pass a pre-employment medical including drug and alcohol test
- Competitive Hourly Rate plus super on all hours worked
- Current Drivers Licence
- Current Standard 11 or willing to obtain a Standard 11
- Have a strong commitment to safety and Zero Harm and ensure this is a
- priority and at the forefront of all your decision-making
- Have a strong work history
- High level of safety awareness
- Relevant current RII Competencies
- Relevant RII/ SSE sign offs/ Competencies
- Right to work in Australia - Birth Certificate or Australian Passport
- Sound Work History
- Be reliable and a team player
- Peabody Energy Australia Pty Ltd
- New Hope Corporation Limited
- QCoal Pty Ltd
- Hail Creek Holdings Pty Ltd
- Mt Rawdon Operations Pty Ltd
- Glencore Coal Queensland Pty Limited
- Fitzroy Queensland Resources Limited
- Conquest Mining Limited
- Ravenswood Gold Pty Ltd
- BHP Coal Pty Ltd/li>
- Baralaba Coal Company Pty Ltd
- Anglo American Metallurgical Coal Pty Ltd
- Santos Limited (JV with Santos Limited, Petronas Total and Kogas)
- TEC Coal Pty Ltd
- TerraCom Australia
- Coronado Curragh Pty Ltd
- Yarrabee Coal Company Pty Ltd
About the Bowen Basin mining region, Queensland.
The Queensland Bowen Basin contains the largest coal reserves in Australia. This major coal producing region contains one of the world’s largest deposits of bituminous coal.
The Basin contains much of the known Permian coal resources in Queensland including virtually all of the known mineable prime coking coal. It was named for the Bowen River, itself named after Queensland’s first Governor, Sir George Bowen.
The Bowen Basin covers a total area of over 60,000 square kilometres and is located in Central Queensland; running from Collinsville to Theodore. The entire region is home to many coal mines operated by multiple mining companies.
Here's a list of mining companies with operations in the Bowen Basin.
For a more detailed view of the above list, here's the link to Queensland State Development mines list