Olympic Dam Expansion
BHP Billiton is once again seeking approval from the Northern Territory and South Australian governments for the expansion of its existing mining and processing operation at Olympic Dam in South Australia.
The Expansion Program
Olympic Dam Mine site Infrastructure
a 280 megalitre per day (ML/d) coastal desalination.
- Plant at Point Lowly on Upper Spencer Gulf (to supply 200 ML/d of additional water via a 320 km pipeline connection to Olympic Dam and with the potential to supply 80 ML/d for the South Australian Government to replace River Murray water to Upper Spencer Gulf and Eyre Peninsula regions)
- Either an additional 270 km electricity transmission line from Port Augusta to Olympic Dam, or a gas pipeline from Moomba and a new gas-fired power station at Olympic Dam, or a hybrid solution that is a combination of these two supply methods
- a 105 km rail line to connect Olympic Dam to the national rail network near Pimba, to move product and supplies predominantly by rail instead of road
- A new airport to replace the existing airport at Olympic Dam which would handle aircraft such as the Boeing 737-800 or A320 and would support both day and night flights
- A landing facility 12 km south of Port Augusta to unload equipment from barges, and an access corridor to a pre-assembly yard on the north-western outskirts of Port Augusta
- Additional port facilities in South Australia at Outer Harbor
- Further port facilities in the Northern Territory at the Port of Darwin to import supplies and export product
- Construction of a new workers accommodation village (named Hiltaba Village)
- Expansion of the Roxby Downs township, 14 km south of the mine, where most of Olympic Dam`s operational workforce would continue to live.
The project is still in the EIS phase. Overall the purpose of the Environmental Impact Statement informs decision-makers and stakeholders about why the project is needed, potential environmental, social, cultural and economic issues arising in the construction and operation phases. It also focuses heavily on how the project is wound up and in what condition the mine would be returned to it’s natural state when the mine closes.
Olympic Dam Jobs
There is a new wave of mining coming and it will require dedicated people who understand the value of contributing to the overall growth of the business. Mining is not an easy way to earn a living, it is tough, hard work and as the majority of mines in Australia are in remote locations, a FIFO workforce is required.
How to prepare for BHP mining careers
BHP offers good career opportunities for people who are motivated and talented. Their outlook on employment is such that their mission statement is to treat all employees fairly and with respect, and everyone has the opportunity to achieve to their full potential.
BHP Billiton is a global company with dozens of mining and resource projects. Working at BHP gives you the opportunity to work anywhere in the world, providing you with invaluable experience in mining and the resource sector that will increase your future career possibilities.
Mining Graduates and Students
The BHP Billiton Foundations for Graduates Program is widely recognised as one of the best in the mining and resources sector. Graduates learn from BHP leaders and are immersed in an award-winning learning and development program that when completed, created a wide range of mining and resource sector career opportunities.
The challenging and rewarding two-year BHP training attracts a high calibre of graduates from around the world.
Graduates can study a wide range of subjects with courses in Engineering, Science & Exploration, Health Sciences and Business. Visit the BHP Billiton website for more details.
Mining Careers at BHP Billiton
Find out about mining careers and current job opportunities at BHP Billiton, view their mining jobs board or even sign up for BHP job alerts (recommended). BHP job alerts are easy to set up. Simply go to this website and add your details, select which types of mining jobs or career suits your level of mining experience and qualification. You will be sent email alerts for BHP jobs as they are added to the jobs boards.
BHP jobs at Olympic Dam, if the project gets approval and moves to the next phase of development, will be highly sought after. There will be a cross section of jobs available from construction, earth moving, sciences, management and technical trades required.
Now is the time to consider your future in mining by taking the time to research the opportunities Olympic Dam might offer you. Get the right training and qualifications now. Build your experience by working in related industries like quarrying and civil construction and as always, make sure your resume is mining focused and reflects every single qualification you can do to give you the best possible chance at securing a BHP job.
Reference: BHP Jobs – Olympic Dam
Learn more about the Bowen Basin mining location.
The Bowen Basin contains the largest coal reserves in Australia. This major coal producing region contains one of the worldâ€™s largest deposits of bituminous coal.
The Basin contains much of the known Permian coal resources in Queensland including virtually all of the known mineable prime coking coal. It was named for the Bowen River, itself named after Queenslandâ€™s first Governor, Sir George Bowen.
The Bowen Basin covers an area of over 60,000 square kilometres in Central Queensland running from Collinsville to Theodore and is dotted with many coal mines operated by multiple mining companies.
Caterpillar Haul truck 793
The 793F has a load cpacityof 226.8 ton (US) and a top speed of 60 kilometres an hour. It's a turbocharged air-to-air aftercooled diesel engine that has enhanced power management capability for maximum hauling performance. The C175-16 is a 16-cylinder, four-stroke design that uses long, effective power strokes for optimum efficiency.
The 793F, is an autonomous-driven truck. Over 100 793F trucks are now operating via Command for hauling, the Cat autonomous truck operations system, which is a part of Cat MineStarâ„˘
Read more about the CAT 793 automomous mining dump truck on our website.