Adani Carmichael mine rail link construction
Adani Carmichael mine approval
The Adani Carmichael mine approval by the federal government of Australia means the development of the thermal coal mine in the Galilee Basin can now proceed. Although the project is subject to strict conditions, we will now begin to see a flurry of activity to push the production dates closer to a reality.
Reports in the media suggest Adani has signed up buyers for about 70 percent of the coal the Carmichael project is expected to produce in phase one of the development, which is expected to begin at the end of 2017.
One of the biggest challenges of developing the mine is its proximity to the coal loading terminals at Abbot Point, near Bowen. Adani has sunk billions into purchasing the asset and is now poised to begin further development.
The rail link is being financed at this stage by Adani and its investors, although there are some indications that the QLD government, or even the federal government by way of the northern Australia infrastructure Development Fund, could siphon off some of the 5 billion dollars allocated into the Galilee Basin project.
Korean engineering company POSCO were awarded the contract to build the 300km+ rail link from Abbot Point to the Carmichael mine. Adani Mining Pty, a subsidiary of the Indian based $9.2-billion Adani Group, had signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with Korean company Posco E&C, a subsidiary of the South Korean steel giant, for the construction of a new coal terminal at Abbot Point port in Queensland.
Adani made an official announcement that Downer EDI were the contractors who would be building and operating the mine and Korean engineering and project management company POSCO were developing the 360km rail link from the mine to Abbot Point ““ a $2 billion contract.
The sheer size of the rail link means specialist rail building equipment needs to be used. In Australia, it’s not unusual for hundreds of kilometres of rail lines to be laid by mining companies, especially in the Western Australian region of the Pilbara – where the remote location of iron ore mines means huge engineering feats are required to build the links from mine to the port.
To give iMINCO readers an idea of some of the equipment that could be used, here are a couple of videos of track laying machines from Europe in action. The Swietelsky company has some amazing machinery to do the job. Could this be what we can expect from POSCO to build the Carmichael mine to Abbot Point rail link?
Swietelsky track laying machinery in action.
A checklist for Adani Carmichael and Galilee Basin mining jobs
- Learn about the Galilee Basin. Research Waratah Coal, GVK, Hancock Coal and Adani. By going to their websites, you will gain insights into their mining operations.
- Be prepared for the next wave of Galilee Basin mining jobs, get the right training”“ Mining Induction (Standard 11). This mining safety and induction course was also know as `Generic Induction`
- There are other mining courses you can do to up-skill yourself for the coming Queensland mining jobs.
- A Coal Board Medical certificate will be required before applying for these new coal mining jobs. Be prepared ““ it`s always a good idea and will help your application process.
- If you are not an Australian citizen or resident, you must have the appropriate authority to work in Australia. See 457 Visas and eligibility to work in a mining job.
- Set up job alerts on SEEK, CareerOne, iMINCO, Indeed and other mining jobs boards.
- Search for `Galilee Basin mining jobs Queensland` on Google. An example of this would be to use the most common keywords like “gvk mining jobs queensland”¯, “adani mining queensland”¯, “coal mining jobs hancock coal”¯, “galilee basin jobs”¯ or “galilee basin mine”¯.
- Prepare your resume and cover letter to be mining focused. A professional, well written, mining focused resume, with targeted keywords and qualification highlights, will help get your digital resume past resume scanning software and into the hands of a human.