The widely coveted contract for the Tasmanian Mount Lyell copper, gold and silver mine, owned by Copper Mines of Tasmania Pty Ltd (CMT), was recently awarded to Barminco.
The underground mining project has the potential to create around 200 Tasmanian mining jobs.Recognised as a global market leader in the hard rock underground mining industry, the company secured a financially significant three year development and production contract and is recruiting people looking for mining jobs in Tasmania ASAP, as work is set to begin as close as September 1.
Despite headline grabbers and fear mongering reports of the mining workforce being affected by commodity price fluctuations, one of Australia`s most successful underground contractors is dancing to a different beat, creating Tasmanian jobs in mining.
Barminco is forging strongly ahead despite reports of mining adversity ““ showing no sign of slowing down. Earlier this year, Barminco secured the Renison Tin mine contract, also in Tasmania. For those looking for mining jobs in Tasmania, then this is a company you should keep an eye on.
With significantly sized contracts extended at both the Agnew Gold Mine and Flying Fox nickel mine, Barminco is making headlines in positive mining news, all over Australia. The company has completed a plethora of million dollar mining projects since the company`s establishment in 1989.
They made history in 2011, winning a huge $500 million dollar underground mining contract with AngloGold Ashanti`s Sunrise Dam mine, located about 55km south of Laverton, WA. This made it the largest underground mining contract ever awarded to Barminco and the 2nd largest in Australian mining history.
More recently, Barminco has set new development records at MMG’s world-class, long life Dugald River mine (located around 65 kms north-west of Cloncurry in QLD) helping solidify the future for underground contracting in the mining industry. Smashing their own record, they managed to advance the development of a jumbo to an astounding 603 metres per month (to Australian standards), where the usual advancement is around 200-300 metres per month.
Fast facts for people wanting mining jobs in Tasmania with Barminco:-
- Barminco is currently recruiting skilled workers, revealing they are needing to employ at least 200 staff in the near future, therefore if you`re on the scout for mining jobs in Tasmania, then now is the time to apply.
- The contract is expected to run for 3 years, is to advance decline development 3,600m per annum and is set to produce around 2.47 tonnes of ore per annum ““ making it a significantly sized mining operation.
- Mount Lyell is found in Tasmania`s Queenstown and has been in operation for over a century making it the oldest operating mine site in Australia, for those seeking mining jobs in Tasmania, this mine site in particular could prove to offer longer mining career options.
- Although Barminco could not disclose the actual value of the contract, they could reveal Mount Lyell is to be their second largest contract after Sunrise Dam – which was to the sum of around $500 million , for those seeking a mining job in Tasmania, this project is certainly worth researching now.
Barminco new Managing Director Peter Stokes stated, “During a time of market volatility where efficiencies are paramount, the award of this contract demonstrates our ability to value-add as a contractor and our capacity to deliver on our growth strategy.”
Tasmanian Mining Jobs
For those seeking mining jobs in Tasmania this is great news, particularly for workers looking to break into entry level mining jobs in TAS.
Applying for an underground mining job increases your chances immensely if you’re trying to catch a break in the mining industry ““ as competition is less fierce for underground mining work.
If you`re looking to qualify yourself for mining jobs in Tasmania ““ you can check out some of the best mining courses available here.
With Barminco winning so many mining contracts all over Australia especially recruiting 200 jobs for Mount Lyell, you can expect they will be advertising for mining jobs in Tasmania in the near future.
Positions at Mount Lyell mine are being offered on a ‘Drive In Drive Out’ basis with family friendly rosters to cover continuous shifts. Commencing onsite on 1 September 2013, all positions are offered on a permanent basis.
Mining jobs are plentiful and some of the positions available are:
- Jumbo Operator
- Bogger Operator
- Charge up Operator
- Truck Operator (all levels)
- Service Crew (all levels)
- Store personnel (all levels)
- Fitters (all levels)
- Auto Electrician
- Longhole Driller
- Grader Operator
- Charge Up Operator
- Shotcrete Sprayer
- Crusher Operator
- Shift Supervisor
- Underground Surveyor
Remember training and qualifications can take you so far, if you wish to learn more about how you can give yourself a winning edge and land a mining job in Tasmania we suggest you firstly learn how to market yourself well on paper with a specific mining resume ““ it truly makes you stand out from the crowd.
Finally, If you`re looking for mining jobs in Tasmania, we suggest researching all there is to know about the mining sector in Tasmania.
Below ““ Where Barminco is currently contracting – offering mining jobs in Australia